Between 40% – 90% of contact lens wearers do not properly follow the care instructions for their contact lenses.
Studies show that the majority of people that wear contacts do not always properly wash their contact lenses. If you are one of these people then you might want to continue reading. It is important to support good contact lens hygiene. We want readers to understand the importance of this topic as well as learn how to properly clean their contacts.
Wearing dirty lenses can lead to eye ulcers and other eye diseases. Some of these infections can be easily cured. Others may be more serious and might even leave you blind! You don’t want that and neither do we. So what is the best way to prevent this from happening? We recommend routinely washing your lenses. To properly clean your lenses follow our steps:
- Before handling your contacts, always remember to thoroughly wash your hands. Do not use lotion-based soap while washing as the oils from these soaps can damage your lenses.
- Take your fresh cleaning solution and one of your contact lenses.
- Place your lens in the palm of your hand concave up
- Add a few drops of solution to it.
- Rub your contact gently. Be careful to not use your nails as they can scratch and damage the lens.
- Once finished, place the contact in its case filled with fresh solution. Make sure that it is fresh solution as the old solution can have bacteria you do not want growing on your lenses.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for your other contact lens.
* Roslyn Eye Centre carries top contact lens brands and solutions.
Our steps for cleaning contact lenses will not only help keep your eyes healthy, but can also improve the longevity of your lenses. Were you making any mistakes when cleaning your lenses? Do you have any steps for cleaning contact lenses that may be beneficial? Be sure to let us know and for all things about contact lenses be sure to check in with the Roslyn Eye Centre.